Cheesy Jalapeño Shepherd’s Pie
- 15 mins Prep Time
- 60 mins Cook Time
- Difficult Level
Kick up your traditional Shepherd’s Pie with Jalapeño Peppers!
6 Farm Rich Jalapeño Peppers
1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 TBSP butter
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 cup beef broth (low-sodium)
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- Cook Jalapeño Peppers according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain well. Return to saucepan; add milk, butter, and half each of the salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook beef, onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until beef is browned and vegetables are softened. (Substitute ground pork, turkey or chicken for beef if desired.) Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce; bring to simmer. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in corn.
- Spread filling into 9-inch square baking dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over top, spreading to cover filling. Press Jalapeño Peppers into mashed potatoes.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Tip: To save time, substitute instant mashed potatoes for regular mashed potatoes.